TH 303 – Scene Design 1
Text Analysis Questions for
OEDIPUS THE KING by Sophocles
1. Define the role of the divine in “Oedipus the King.” Who is divine/revered? How do they affect the world?
2. Define the opening and end stasis of the world in “Oedipus the King.” Describe Oedipus, the man, as seen at the top of the play as opposed to the end.
3. Pinpoint the inciting incident and the climax of the play. Why is awareness of these moments crucial to the scenic designer?
4. Explain why “Oedipus the King” is a tragedy of fate.
5. List the themes in “Oedipus the King.” Do they have contemporary significance? Explain.